The global Human Papillomavirus (HPV) testing and Pap test market are expected to reach USD 5.6 billion by 2024, according to a new report by Grand View Research Inc.The market is majorly driven by the increasing number of cervical cancer cases, government initiatives, and the heightened awareness amongst women about cervical cancer. For instance, the CDC advocates cervical cancer screening tests for women above the age of 30 as it was found that the cervical cancers are rare in the age group, 20-30 years (2 in 100,000) as compared to the older age groups (16 in 100,000).
In addition to carrying out awareness campaigns, the government and key industrial players are providing funding to universities for the development of enhanced technologies to facilitate effective screening, which would mitigate the incidence of late-stage cervical cancer. In this direction,in April 2014, the FDA approved the use of the HPV DNA test, also referred to as the Cobas HPV test (Roche Molecular Systems), as a primary screening test.
A study conducted by the scientists of Hologic, Inc. and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center hasshownthe importance of combined testing (HPV and Pap) stating that the Paptest identifies cellular abnormalities and the HPV test detects suspicious viruses, hence improving the efficiency and providing the best results that are cost-effective and convenient to the patients.
To request a sample copy or view summary of this report, click the link below:
Further key findings from the study suggest:
- The cervical cancer screening segment dominated the market in 2015 owing to the introduction of advanced technologies for the screening and detection of cervical cancer. For instance, in May 2016, Hologic Inc. determined that HPV and Pap co-testing was the most effective in the screening of cervical cancer.
- The laboratories segment dominated the HAV and Pap test market in 2015 owing to the increased performance in the diagnosis of cervical cancer cases. As per the CDC statistics, approximately 21.7 million tests were performed in the U.S.; hence, the hospitalssegmentis expected to witness a rapid growthin the coming years due to the increasing number of diagnostic tests performed in-house and also the availability of advanced technologies.
- In 2015, North America held the largest share in terms of revenue owing to the continual introduction ofinnovated technologies to improve patient care and diagnosis. In addition, the high number of positive cases being detected, along with the rising death toll (i.e., 2.6 in 1,00,000), has compelled the government to conduct awareness programmes about the early diagnosis and treatment of cervical cancer, which is a key factor for the large market share.
- In April 2014, the FDA approved the use of the HPV DNA test, also referred to as the Cobas HPV test. Roche introduced a test that detectsthe DNAsequence of cancer-causing high-risk HPVs. It provides information regarding patients’ risk of developing cervical cancer. The Cobas HPV test is used to specifically identify HPV 16 and HPV 18as well as12 other high-risk HPVs from the cervical cell sample in women older than 25 years of age.
- Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a high CAGR in the coming years. As per the cancer council, 61% of the Australian women are screened for cervical cancer every two years, out of which around 26% who have been detected through the normal Pap test undergo an early re-screening more often than the recommended two years of interval.
- Some key players in the market are QiagenN. V., Hologic, Inc., Roche Holding AG, Abbott Laboratories, and Becton, Dickinson and Company. These market players are in the process of introducing tests to change the traditional methods of individual HPV and Pap tests and introduce newer techniques or devices to improve the efficiency and convenience.
- For instance, in February 2016, Quest acquired Clinical Laboratory Partner’s outreach laboratory service business. This acquisition is expected to provide the patients a broader service network with better quality, affordability, and convenience.
See More Reports of This Category:
About Grand View Research:
Grand View Research, Inc. is a U.S. based market research and consulting company, registered in the State of California and headquartered in San Francisco. The company provides syndicated research reports, customized research reports, and consulting services. To help clients make informed business decisions, we offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across a range of industries, from technology to chemicals, materials and healthcare.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519