The global sugar substitutes market is expected to reach USD 19.10 billion by 2024, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. rising health conscious population coupled with increasing disposable income and growing consumption of low calorie and healthier food & beverages are the key driving forces propelling market growth.
The market is witnessing increasing incorporation of sugar substitutes into the health & personal care products which is expected to drive demand over the forecast period. Rising prevalence of health problems including obesity and diabetes along with fluctuating sugar prices hampering supply is anticipated to fuel sugar substitutes market growth.
Sugar substitutes are majorly used in the form of sorbitol, tagatose, and aspartame saccharine in health care, cosmetics, and food & beverage industry. Gaining importance of artificial sweeteners in the formulation of confectioneries, bakery, dairy, and frozen foods would have a strong impact on market growth over the next eight years.
Beverage manufacturers such as Coca-Cola Company have pursued their efforts on developing calorie-free substitutes, filed for patents to the FDA in relation with a herb called stevia, which is used to impart sweetening characteristics to food and drinks. These developments are expected to facilitate other market players to incorporate these activities into their R&D portfolio and would open new market avenues over the forecast period.
To request a sample copy or view summary of this report, click the link below:
Further key findings from the study suggest:
- Beverages segment accounted for over 40% of global volume in 2015. This segment is expected to grow on account of growing demand for high-intensity sweeteners in alcoholic beverages, especially from developed economies such as North America and Europe. Additionally, sugar substitutes are gaining popularity as an additive in carbonated soft drinks for taste enhancement and calorie reduction.
- Low-intensity sweeteners segment is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 5.0% from 2016 to 2024. Low-intensity sweeteners are an ideal substitute for sugar due to its superior functional properties. Growing demand from food & beverage industry will positively impact the growth of this segment in the near future.
- Among applications, beverages segment dominated the global sugar substitutes market. However, food segment is anticipated to witness highest CAGR from 2016 to 2024. This is attributed to growing awareness among health conscious population and shifting consumer preferences to low-caloric food products.
- North America market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.8% from 2016 to 2024. North America and Europe is expected to continue its dominance jointly in sugar substitutes market through continuing to invest in research and development activities and natural alternatives potential.
- Demand for sugar substitutes in Europe was valued at over USD 2 billion in 2015. Germany is one of the major countries accounting for over 50% of European sugar substitutes market. Germany is Europe’s leading location for food & beverage industry and second biggest in terms of medical technology production and medical services provider across the globe.
- Leading market players including DuPont, Cargill, ADM, and Tate & Lyle are channelizing their efforts into the development of new products through significant R&D investments, utilizing advanced technologies to manufacture superior quality and cost-effective products. The key companies are also striving to raise awareness among consumers regarding the ambiguity with the sugar substitutes consumption, while strictly adhering to the international quality standards.
Read detailed report or request for sample of this research report: